Sunday 13 May 2007

Another goodbye


When I came downstairs this morning, I found my dog, Scamp, dead at the foot of the stairs as though she had been trying to come to me for help. Although she was 13, which is quite a good age for a dog, she had also been part of my life for 13 years and it was a shock. Pet loving readers, especially those who have experienced pet bereavement, will understand my grief. Other readers may think, "It's only a dog", but she had been my late wife Wendy's dog, Wendy had asked me to look after her and she had been my only companion since Wendy died in January.

Throughout my daughter's childhood when she said, "It's not fair!" as children do, I used to tell her that life itself wasn't fair. I thought that was one of the most useful lessons she could learn for life and yet I have never really accepted the lesson myself. I know only too well that many others have far greater problems than I have and perhaps that will change my perspective over time, but it doesn't help at the moment. It needn't have been quite so soon after Wendy.

Goodbye Scamp. I miss you. You were a little dog with a big character - loyal, plucky and loving and gave much joy to Wendy and me, asking for little in return. You also gave much pleasure and comfort to other patients and visitors in St. Wilfrid's Hospice during Wendy's last few weeks.
3.3.1994 - 13.5.2007

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home